Nutrition

thThe Club has arranged for a nutritionist to come and speak to our swimmers and parents. The aim is to cover nutrition & diet in general but also to explain how good nutrition can help you prepare for training as well as how to recover from training as well as maintaining energy levels in competition.

The event will take place on Sunday 18th September 2016 starting at 1:30pm through until 3:30pm at the Welshpool Scout Hut and is free of charge.

Ideally, to get the most from this event, swimmers should be accompanied by a parent as it is us who buy, prepare & cook their food! Parents are welcome to attend on their own as we appreciate a presentation of this kind might not be of huge interest to our youngest swimmers.

We do need an indication of likely attendance so please do let us know if you’re coming in the weeks ahead.

Our pool based training session will continue as normal on that day from 4pm through until 5pm.

Club Committee Meeting

th95KBRJ1IA Sharks Swimming Club Committee Meeting will take place this Tuesday 12th April 2016.

It’ll be held at The Flash Leisure Centre starting at 7.15pm.

An agenda will be circulated shortly.

Please come along and show your support to the Club – a very warm welcome to all.

Sharks Committee Meeting

th95KBRJ1IA Sharks Swimming Club Committee Meeting will take place this Tuesday 19th January 2016.

It’ll be held at The Flash Leisure Centre starting at 7.15pm.

An agenda has been emailed to everyone.

Please come along and show your support to the Club – a very warm welcome to all.

Parents … WE NEED YOU!

JudgeAs a competitive swimming club, when we attend galas & league meets we are expected to provide a number of officials.

We are currently very short of qualified judges & timekeepers so intend to run a Level 1 Judge course.

If you’re interested in finding out a bit more or think you might be interested, please come along to The Flash next Wednesday 13th May at 7:30pm for a quick chat about the roles and different levels of officials. We’ll outline what is involved in taking the course and it’ll be an opportunity for you to ask questions.

There is no cost or obligation if you decide it’s not for you.

“When I first started as an official I was really scared i would do something wrong especially with the timing, but it is so much easier than I thought & I have met some fantastic people”

“I really enjoy judging, its much better than sitting for ages waiting for my daughters next race, & I’ve learnt loads”

If you can’t make it but are interested in these roles please speak to Megan or send us an email at welshpoolsharks@hotmail.co.uk

Welshpool Sharks Committee Meeting

TUESDAY 19TH FEBRUARY 2013
PRESENT: – Pat Jones, Pete Swanton, Ann Jones, Bronwen Poole,  Rachel Lewis, Julia Lloyd, Christine Williams, Delyth Williams, Megan Robbins, Carol Morgan – Thomas, Nikki Piggott, Sue Glover and James Harrison.

APOLOGIES: – Marie Lewis, Helen Crowley and Alison Wilding.

The Chairman Mr James Harrison welcomed everyone to the meeting.

MINUTES: – The minutes of the meeting held on Tuesday 11th September 2012 were confirmed as a correct record.

MATTERS ARISING FROM THE MINUTES: – The official’s polo shirts with names on had been received. Pat would like to order another polo shirt if possible.

REPORTS

CHAIRPERSON – The Chairman presented a proposed addendum to the Code of Conduct for Swimmers. Following a couple of incidents involving behaviour it was noted that there was nothing in the Code of Conduct signed by swimmers detailing disciplinary procedures. It was felt that there needed to be recourse fir innapropraite behaviour.  Discussion of the document presented by the Chairman followed.
It was suggested that swimmers re-sign the code of conduct when they renew their insurance in April.
James will look into the constitution, Swim Wales and Dragon Mark to make sure that the proposed code fits with WASA and will also consult with Helen Crowley Child Protection Officer.  Rachel is to pass a copy of the constitution to James.
It was felt that there should be a code of conduct/guidance for coaches – RESOLVED that the code apply to any member of Sharks whether a child or adult. Agreed in principal. The Code of Conduct is to be amended to encompass all members of Sharks.
James will draft a final version.
Guidance is important for poolside coaches.

TREASURER – Christine reported that Marie had ordered the hand paddles and tempo trainers and these had been delivered. Stuart was looking for a supplier who deals with starters and cameras for the club to look at. Alison had chased up those who owed for sessions and all swimmers had now paid. Ideas for collecting gala fees were asked for. It was noted that all swimmers entering galas have an e-mail print out from Nikki. Megan will make a copy of these and put into the file. It was suggested that swimmers are told that entries have to be paid by a deadline and that entry fees can be placed in an envelope marked with the swimmers name and which gala it applies to and posted in the white Sharks box by the notice board. It was noted that a second key for the white box would be useful; Christine will look into getting a copy cut. To avoid the problem of large amounts of cash in the box Megan offered to ask reception to change for notes. It was decided to try this and review.
Christine has paid the invoice for the engraving of trophies for the presentation evening.

COACHES – Pete reported on excellent performances with swimmers doing well in the regionals, making finals and winning medals. Swimmers who swam in the Urdd did well. 15/16 swimmers qualify for the Welsh Nationals.

A mini gala will be held at The Flash on the 23rd March.  Pete will complete a risk assessment for this. It will follow the same format as last year with the age range 8 year olds to 12 year olds.

With regards ECL someone will be asked to take up an official position at some point. All clubs have to supply officials and Sharks will have to run the Holywell gala. Pat congratulated the club on joining the ECL.
Pete suggested possibly changing to a 2 hour session on a Sunday once the canoe club are not using the pool. He appealed for someone to contact Becky.

Long course training Liverpool 2 hours 12 – 2 £18 per lane.

CHILD PROTECTION/WELFARE OFFICER – Child Protection Children in Sport course to be held on the 19th March in Newtown Football club. Nikki, Ian, Rachel, Carol and Megan are to attend. It was noted that all coaches should have been on Child Protection Training. Megan will take responsibility for gathering names and will contact Christine for the money. She will contact Andy and Lindsay.

PUBLICIY/ SOCIAL SECRETARY –
The Presentation evening had gone extremely well and was enjoyed by all.
It was noted that more use needs to be made of the new website designed by Alex Matthews. Please send information /photos etc. to Alex for inclusion on the website.
Carol informed the committee that sadly Bill Ward had passed away. A wreath had been sent from Sharks and Bills swimming things and paperwork are to be donated to the club. It was suggested that at next year’s presentation evening a trophy be awarded in his name. It was felt that the trophy should be awarded to the best poolside helper Carol will draft a notice and obituary to go on the notice board. It was decided that the home friendly gala to be held on the 23rd March be named the Bill Ward Memorial Gala.

SWIMMERTS REPRESENTATIVE – Delyth had nothing to report.

ANY OTHER BUSINESS.
Swimmers are to be reminded that £5 is payable on the bus for the ECL and Diddy League Galas.
Club officials and helpers were reminded of confidentiality and that no swimmers progress etc. should be discussed, particularly not in the foyer area.

DATE OF NEXT MEETING – There will be a brief meeting on Wednesday 13th March at 7.15p.m. in the resteranunt area at The Flash to discuss preparations for the home friendly gala on the 23rd March.

The date of the next committee meeting will be decided by the Chairman. following liaison with committee members – to be arranged.